For this week’s BM, I have chosen the theme of Sweets without refined ingredients. I was really happy when I saw the theme during announcement so that I can make some sweets for Diwali which are also healthy. So for the three days you will see three sweets which I made for Diwali with nutritious ingredients. For the first day, the main ingredient is sathu maavu. Do not confuse it with Bihar sattu. This is a multi grain flour which also has nuts in it. Usually people make this at home, but nowadays you can get them at stores also. The flour I bought was a combination of ragi, barley, wheat, sago, fried gram, corn, ground nut, rice, moong dal, millet, cardamom, almond, cashew and dry ginger. That was such an impressive list, so I got a 200 gm pack. But it was lying in the pantry for so long without being used. And when this theme came up, the first recipe I decided was these cookies.
As this flour already has wheat flour, I didn’t add any to it. The recipe is really simple and is a butter based one. It doesn’t have any leavening and it is the type of cookie that melts in your mouth. There are some pointers you need to know before you attempt to bake these. Do not bake it for more than 15 minutes. When the cookies come out of oven, they will be extremely soft, so do not try to remove them immediately. Allow them to cool in the tray for 10 – 15 minutes until they are firm enough to be moved. Cool them on wire rack completely before handling. When hot or warm, they will just collapse but once cool they are quite firm and don’t break. So what are you waiting for? go ahead and bake these and I am sure you would love it.
Makes 18 Cookies
Sathu Maavu / Multi Grain Flour – 200 gm
Grated Jaggery / Naatu Sakkarai – 3-4 tbs
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Melted Butter – 100 gm
Pistachios For Garnish
Preheat oven to 175°C.
Mix together flour, cardamom powder and sugar.
Add in the melted butter and mix to form a slightly crumbly dough.
Divide it into 18 equal portions.
Roll each portion into a ball.
Place some sliced pistachios on top and slightly press it in the centre.
Place them on a greased tray.
Bake them for 12 – 15 minutes.
Remove the tray from oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
With a spatula gently remove the cookies and place on wire rack. Allow them to cool completely before placing them in an airtight box.
Sathu Maavu / Multi Grain Flour Cookies Recipe
- Sathu Maavu / Multi Grain Flour - 200 gm
- Grated Jaggery / Naatu Sakkarai - 3-4 tbs
- Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Melted Butter - 100 gm
- Pistachios For Garnish
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Mix together flour, cardamom powder and sugar.
- Add in the melted butter and mix to form a slightly crumbly dough.
- Divide it into 18 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball.
- Place some sliced pistachios on top and slightly press it in the centre.
- Place them on a greased tray.
- Bake them for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray from oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
- With a spatula gently remove the cookies and place on wire rack. Allow them to cool completely before placing them in an airtight box.