For the second day of sweets without refined ingredients, I have easy breezy recipe you can try for this Diwali. Full of peanuts flavour, these tiny balls are totally awesome. If you like kadalai urundai we get in petty shops, then try this. The only cooking involved is roasting coconut and peanuts. Other than that, this is a perfect recipe for a beginner. You could never go wrong. Ever since I made Thala Guli, I have been thinking of its peanut version. If you have not yet read my post, do read it. It has only three ingredients and makes a delicious treat in minutes. The main ingredient there is sesame.
My aunt used to make a similar version but with just peanuts. I combined both recipes to make this. I had just 1/2 cup of peanuts so made a tiny batch. Roast the peanuts, remove skin. Roast coconut until dry. Then grind everything together. The oil from the peanuts combined with jaggery will make it easy to shape the balls. You don’t need a binding agent in the recipe. I have reserved a few to distribute along with other Diwali sweets to friends.
Makes 12 Balls
Peanuts – 1/2 cup
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Jaggery/ Naatu Sakkarai – 4 tbs
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Roast peanuts until they are golden.
Allow them to cool. Remove the skin and keep aside.
Roast grated coconut until golden.
Now add peanuts, coconut, jaggery and cardamom powder in a mixer jar.
Grind it until the peanuts start letting out oil and the mixture is clumpy.
Transfer it to a bowl.
Take small portions and shape into a tight ball.
Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Cool before storing in airtight box.
Kadalaiparuppu Thengai Urundai / Peanut Coconut Ball Recipe
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Jaggery/ Naatu Sakkarai - 4 tbs
- Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Roast peanuts until they are golden.
- Allow them to cool. Remove the skin and keep aside.
- Roast grated coconut until golden.
- Now add peanuts, coconut, jaggery and cardamom powder in a mixer jar.
- Grind it until the peanuts start letting out oil and the mixture is clumpy.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Take small portions and shape into a tight ball.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Cool before storing in airtight box.