Today is the 18th day of Tamil month Aadi and it is celebrated as aadi perukku. This day is celebraated to welcome the river Cauvery in Tamil Nadu. Usually rice varieties such as lemon rice, puliodharai, coconut rice, pongal and thayir saadam are made with vadai and payasam. Rituals are performed on the river banks. As I have never lived in a place near a river during childhood, my mom never celebrated aadi perukku. But after becoming a blogger, I am so much interested in festivals, and I read a lot about aadi perukku in books and blog. Though I don’t actually do the pooja, I just made the payasam and coconut rice.
I have been wanting to make this yummy paayasam for long. When I taught this in my south Indian basic cooking class, my student loved it so much. When I was going through my recipe archieve I found that I haven’t posted it here. So for this aadi perukku, here is a creamy and delicious paayasam for you. When ever we go to hotels for lunch, they usually serve paasiparuppu payasam. But thier version has only the moong dhal and sugar water. It looks crstal clear and tastes like sweetened moong dhal water. But try this at home and you will fall in love with this rich creamy dessert. It doesn’t use a lot of ghee and is cooked in coconut milk.
Moong Dhal-1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder-1/2 tsp
Thick Coconut Milk-1/2 cup
Thin Coconut milk-1 cup
Cashew nuts-2 tbs
- Pressure cook moong dhal with water for 5 minutes.
- Mash it to a smooth paste.
- Boil jaggery with a little water and strain the syrup to get rid of impurities.
- Add it to the moong dhal with cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add the thin coconut milk and mix it well.
- Bring the mixture to boil. Let it boil on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now heat ghee in a separate pan and add the cashew and raisins. Roast until golden. Allow it to cool.
- Add the thick coconut milk to the boiling payasa, give a stir and remove from flame.
- Add the roasted cashew and raisins.
- Serve hot or cold topped with a few grated coconut.
And here are a few more recipes made during the Aadi Perukku Festival: For recipes click on the picture..
Semiya Paasiparuppu Paayasam