When I posted rose milk popsicle recipe, one of my friends asked me to try out jigarthanda popsicle. If you are new to this word, then you need to take a look at my Jigarthanda post. Jigarthanda is a famous drink in Madurai, my home town. For the scorching heat this is a thirst quencher and you can see so many road side stalls selling this drink. This can be called as the sister to Falooda. The main ingredient of this drink is baadam pisin, which looks like pebbles. But when soaked overnight, they turn into soft fluffy mass which resembles jelly. This is a coolant and when added to the milk based drink it takes the flavour to a new level. You need to try it at least once to know how it tastes.And another ingredient which gives the jigarthanda its unique flavour is Nannari/ Sarasaparilla syrup. It is available ready in stores, so need to prepare it at home. The proportion cannot be termed accurately. You can add ingredients as per your taste.
Some recipes in the internet asks you to add rose syrup, but I need to warn you. It is not authentic. The normal jigarthanda is light brown in colour not pink. So if you want to make the authentic jigarthanda, add only nannari syrup. Instead of serving the drink in a glass, I added it to a kulfi mould and allowed it to set overnight. The result was absolute deliciousness. Mos of the khova sinks to the bottom and the baadam pisin stays at top of the mould. So you get a really delicious popsicle which has layers of flavours.
Baadam Pisin – 2 tbs, soaked overnight and drained
Nannari/ Sarasparilla Syrup
Home made Vanilla Ice Cream ( Recipe given Below)
Milk – 2 cups
Mix half a cup of ice cream to milk.
Add 1/3 cup of pre soaked baadam pisin.
Add 4 tbs of nannari syrup.
Pour it into kulfi moulds.
Freeze them until half frozen.
Insert popsicle sticks into the mould.
Freeze until hard.
To serve, dip the mould in water for 20 seconds and gently pull the stick. The popsicle will come out of the mould.
- Baadam Pisin - 2 tbs soaked overnight and drained
- Nannari/ Sarasparilla Syrup
- Home made Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe given Below
- Milk - 2 cups
- Milk-2 cups
- Fresh Cream-2 cups
- Reduced Milk mixed with Paalkhova-1 cup
- Sugar-1/2 cup
- Vanilla Essence-2 tsp
- Corn Flour-3 tbs
- 1. Bring milk to boil.
- 2. Mix corn flour to 1/4 cup of room temperature milk.
- 3. Add sugar and corn flour mixture to boiling milk and whisk until it is completely cooked and becomes a little thick.
- 4. Add vanilla essence and allow it to cool completely.
- 5. Add cream and whisk with a wooden spoon.
- 6. Transfer to a plastic box and refrigerate.
- 7. Take the box out of refrigerator after an hour and whisk it with a wooden spoon.
- 8. Return it back to the freezer.
- 9. Repeat it 5 times.
- 10. During the sixth time, transfer the contents to a mixer jar and beat until smooth.
- 11. Now freeze it until set.
- Mix half a cup of ice cream to milk.
- Add 1/3 cup of pre soaked baadam pisin.
- Add 4 tbs of nannari syrup.
- Mix well.
- Pour it into kulfi moulds.
- Freeze them until half frozen.
- Insert popsicle sticks into the mould.
- Freeze until hard.
- To serve, dip the mould in water for 20 seconds and gently pull the stick. The popsicle will come out of the mould.