Home Bakers Challenge, started by Priya is a monthly challenge in which a group of bloggers try our hand at various types of baked goodies. Every month a member of the team chooses four or five dishes and the other members choose a recipe of their choice to try. And this month it was my turn to choose recipes. As you all know I am crazy of breads and rolls and whatever has yeast in it. So my choice for this month was bread rolls. As all the members were asking for savoury recipes, I selected some hot stuffed dinner rolls and only one sweet roll for those who are craving for something sweet. One of the recipes was from my archives. I made this within one month of starting my blog and I was a bit surprised when I got a good response for these rolls. As the photos were not so good, I wanted to make it again with better pictures. This is one of my favourite bread rolls till date. The addition of poppy seeds gives it a nice flavour and the aroma is so so nice. If you love dinner rolls, I suggest you to try this to know how beautiful it is.
The procedure of these rolls is somewhat different from the ordinary rolls. We use chilled butter as for pastry shells in the dough. I think it improves the texture a lot. These buttery rolls can also be shaped into small knots or rolls. But I have made it in muffin cases and they resemble small cute fans. They are so soft and buttery and you could never stop at one.
- Add yeast, 1/8tsp sugar and warm water. The water should be luke warm. If hot it will kill the yeast. Cover it and let it become frothy. If it didn’t become frothy just discard it and mix a new portion because the roll’s fluffiness depends on the yeast. If using instant yeast, just add it to the flour along with the remaining ingredients.
- Mix milk, oil, 1/6 cup sugar, 1/2 tbs poppy seeds and salt.
- Add the yeast to it.
- Gradually add 1cup of flour and mix it till smooth.
- Mix cold butter and 1 1/2cups of flour with finger tips till the flour resembles bread crumbs.
- Add this to the batter and knead well to get a smooth dough.
- If the dough is sticky add 1tbs of flour and knead.
- Cover with a wet towel and let it rise for 30minutes or till the dough is double the size.
- Punch air out and knead it for another 2minutes.
- Roll dough into a rectangle.
- With a pastry cutter, cut it into two equal portions.
- Now cut each portion into 6 equal stripes.
- Cut each stripe into 4 small rectangles.
- Now stack 4 small rectangles together and place in a muffin cup.
- Cover with damp cloth and let it rise for 30minutes.
- After it is double the size brush the rolls with milk and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Bake the rolls for 25 minutes or till the top crust is golden brown.
- Serve hot with Tea or Coffee.
‘); // ]]>