There was one more Recipe Request from one of my readers asking for the recipe of garlic bread sticks. I love garlic flavoured breads and bread sticks sounded so interesting. When I was browsing through so many recipes, I saw some cute twisted sticks and some roughly shaped sticks. And there was so much butter used for the filling and dough. So I came up with my own version and you know what, it turned out so good. The whole recipe took merely 75 minutes from start to finish as I bought a superb quality instant yeast recently. From that day the dough I make doubles in 30 minutes whereas the previous batch I had used to take one hour. I used olive oil in the dough and also for the filling. You can used melted butter instead.
You need to serve these bread sticks while still warm to relish the crispy crust and soft crumb. Once it cools down, the stick become completely soft which is also delicious. I made a simple cheese dip for these sticks to dip and it was a nice combination. Will share the recipe of the dip tomorrow. Here is the recipe for the dipping sauce.
Makes 12 garlic sticks
For The Dough:
Flour-2 1/4 cups
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Instant Yeast-1 1/4 tsp
Olive oil – 1 tbs
For The Filling:
Olive Oil-1 tbs
Grated Garlic-2 tbs
Oregano- a pinch
- In a bowl mix together flour, salt, sugar, oil and yeast.
- Add water to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Transfer to the counter and knead it for 10 minutes until soft and elastic.
- Oil a bowl, place the dough inside and cover the dough in oil by rotating it gently in the bowl.
- Cover with cling wrap and allow it to double. This will take 30 minutes to 90 minutes depending upon the yeast and the temperature of your place.
- Once double, take it back to the counter and roll it into a thin rectangle.
- In a small bowl mix together the filling ingredients.
- Brush this all over the rectangle.
- Now with a pastry cutter slice the rectagngle into 12 stripes.
- Fold each stripe into half and twist it to form a rope.
- Place it on a greased tray.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Brush the top of the sticks with milk and bake them in oven for 20-30 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- As soon as you remove the sticks from the oven brush them with butter and serve immediately with a dip of your choice.