I was beaming with joy yesterday. I tried preparing tofu at home and it was a huge success. Before two months I tried preparing soy milk at home. I bought white soy beans and it was a total flop. So I was afraid to do it this time. I watched so many videos and read so many posts in other blogs, and when I became confident I went to the store to buy soy beans. This time I purchased the correct variety (yellowish). You need a lot of patience to prepare Tofu. The process is a very easy one yet time consuming. Just for fun you can try it. Now I will be trying a lot of dishes with Tofu. You can expect some delicious dishes in the on coming posts.
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Soak the beans for 8 hours. It will double in size.
2. Grind the soaked soy to a fine paste.
3. In a large vessel add enough water to the paste to bring it to milk consistency.
4. Bring it to boil and switch flame to low. Let it boil on low flame for 15 minutes.
5. Line a sieve with a cloth and filter the milk.
6. The result is soy milk. The by product got after filtering the milk is called Okara. This is rich in protein. This can be used for various purposes. So don’t discard.
7. Mix citric acid to 1/4cup water. Add this solution to the soy milk and stir it once. Then let it stay for 5 minutes.
8. The milk will curdle. Filter this through a cloth lined sieve.
9. Keep the filtered tofu on a flat surface and cover it with the cloth on all the sides. Keep some heavy object on top and leave it for 35 minutes.
10. Remove weight and open the cloth. Cut it into small pieces and use.
11. The Okara can be toasted in oven to get rid of the water content and can be powdered in a mixer grinder. This can be used in soups, cutlets, breads, cakes and so on..
|Soaked Soya Beans|
|Grind to fine paste|
|Add water and bring to boil. It will be frothy|
|Filter the milk. This is Okara|
|The soy milk|
|Add citric acid solution|
|The milk will curdle|
|Filter through a cloth lined sieve|
|Shape it to a square and apply a heavy object.|
|After 35 minutes|
|Cut into cubes and use|