This month’s Daring Baker’s Challenge is Stollen. Penny of Sweet Sadie’s Baking challenged us to prepare this wonderful bread. This is a German bread baked mainly during Christmas. This is a bread like fruit cake. The original stolen resembles Jesus wrapped in folds of cloth. But we were asked to prepare it like a wreath. This was a wonderful bread with layers of icing sugar. We just loved it.
Zest of 1 lemon
- Soak raisins in orange juice for 15minutes.
- In a bowl, add 1/4cup of warm water and yeast, let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Mash banana and add vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Mix butter and milk and heat the mixture till the butter melts. Bring this to luke warm.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Add the yeast, banana and milk to the flour. Knead to make a sticky dough.
- Cover with wrap and let it rest for 10minutes.
- Add the cut fruits, soaked raisins and almonds to the dough and knead for 8-10minutes.
- Sprinkle flour if it is too sticky. Make it smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a big bowl, keep the dough in the bowl and rotate it to coat the dough with oil.
- Cover with wrap and refrigerate overnight. The dough will rise slowly.
- Next day take the dough out and keep it aside for 2 hours to bring it back to room temperature.
- Line a tray with parchment paper. Grease it . Preheat the oven to 180C
- Punch the air out of the dough and roll it into a rectangle of 1/4inch thickness.
- Roll it to form a long cylinder.
- Transfer this log to the tray. Keep a bowl in the middle and bring the two edges of the log together to form a circle. Pinch the seam. The bowl helps to maintain the shape.
- Remove bowl. Using a scissors cut along the edge of the circle at 5 cm intervals.
- Mist dough with oil and cover loosely with wrap.
- Proof for 2 hours.
- When it is double the original size bake it for 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and brush with melted butter. With a sieve sprinkle icing sugar to cover the stolen. The icing sugar coating should be repeated 5 or 6 times.
- This helps to keep the stolen fresh.
Preparing the dough:
|Prepare yeast mixture|
|Incorporate the raisins and cut fruits and refrigerate it overnight|
Preparing Mini Stollen:
|Make four balls out of half portion|
|Roll each ball into a rectangle|
|Roll it into a log|
|Keep a tumbler and bring the ends together to form a circle|
|Pinch ends to close seam|
|Cut along the circumference|
|Bake it and apply a coat of butter and generous layers of icing sugar. Decorate|
Preparing the Stollen:
|Roll the other half into a large rectangle|
|Roll it into a log|
|Keep a bowl in the middle and shape it into a circle|
|Cut along the edge|
|Apply oil and bake it|
|Remove from oven and apply a layer of butter|
|Sprinkle 5/6 layers of icing sugar and decorate|