I was going thru the net for a nice poppy seed recipe. I saw this poppy seeds dinner rolls. The original recipe had eggs. But I just omitted the eggs because I don’t eat eggs. The result was great. I am sending this to CWS –Poppy Seeds hosted by Cook Like A Bong and started by Priya of Priya’s easy n tasty recipes.
Flour – 2 1/2cups
Poppy Seeds for garnishing
- Add yeast, 1/8tsp sugar and warm water. The water should be luke warm. If hot it will kill the yeast. Cover it and let it become frothy. If it didn’t become frothy just discard it and mix a new portion because the roll’s fluffiness depends on the yeast.
- Mix milk, oil, !/6cup sugar, 1/2tbs poppy seeds and salt.
- Add the yeast to it.
- Gradually add 1cup of flour and mix it till smooth.
- Mix cold butter and 1 1/2cups of flour with finger tips till the flour resembles bread crumbs.
- Add this to the batter and knead well to get a smooth dough.
- If the dough is sticky add 1tbs of flour and knead.
- Cover with a wet towel and let it rise for 30minutes or till the dough is double the size.
- Punch air out and knead it for another 2minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Divide the half portion into 10 equal parts.
- Roll each ball into a 10cm*10cm square.
- Cut it into 3 strips and stack them.
- Cut it into two and keep them together in a greased muffin case.
- Repeat it for all the balls.
- I used the other half of dough to prepare a plaited roll and knotted roll.
- Cover with damp cloth and let it rise for 30minutes.
- After it is double the size brush the rolls with melted butter and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Bake the rolls for 25 minutes or till the top crust is golden brown.
- Serve hot with Tea or Coffee.
|Add yeast to warm water and sugar and let it become frothy|
|Add oil, sugar, salt, milk, yeast mixture and mix well|
|Add 1cup flour|
|Prepare a smooth batter|
|Mix cold butter and remaining flour to resemble bread crumbs|
|Add the flour to the batter and knead well|
|Cover with damp cloth and let it rise for 1/2hour|
|The dough is double in size|
|Roll out a divided ball into 10cm*10cm square and cut it into 3 parts|
|Stack the cut pieces|
|Cut it in middle|
|Join both and place it in a greased muffin mold|
|Roll a small ball into a rope|
|Make a spiral shape|
|Knot another rope|
|Take three equal length ropes|
|Join them at one end|
|Plait it and finish edges|
|Place all the shaped dough in a baking tray|
|When it is double the size brush with melted butter and sprinkle poppy seeds.|
|Bake till done|
|Lovely braided rolls and spiral and knotted rolls|
|The rolls from muffin molds|