Uttarakand, formerly known as Uttaranchal, was carved out of Uttar Pradesh in 2000. It is a state of Northern India and is is often referred to as the Land of Gods because of the numerous Hindu temples found throughout the state. It shares its boundaries with Tibet, Nepal, Uttar pradesh and Himachal Pradesh. The food of Uttarakand is known to be healthy and wholesome to suit the high energy necessities of the cold mountainuous regions. Most of the dishes are same as the other Northern states but there are some special preparations unique to the region such as dubuk, chudkani, jholi, khapa and so on.
Roat is a sweet flatbread made of wheat flour and cooked with generous amount of ghee. This is made during marriages or other religious functions in uttarakhand. I read elsewhere that roat are deep fried in ghee. But the recipe I followed suggested cooking roat on tawa with ghee. This is a very easy recipe to make. Filled with the flavour of ghee, roat tasted so yumm. Serve it hot or at room temperature, they surely mmake a nice flaky flavourful snack.
Recipe Source: Uttarakhand Worldwide
Wheat Flour- 2 cups
Cold Milk- 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder-1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds-1 tsp
Jaggery-1 1/2 cups
1. In a bowl mix together flour, two tablespoon ghee, fennel seeds and cardamom powder.
2. In another pan mix together grated jaggery and water. Once the jaggery is dissolved, strain it to remove impurities.
3. Add cold milk to the flour and mix.
4. Now add the jaggery solution to make a soft dough. You may not use the whole jaggery syrup. Use little by little. Make a stiff dough.
5. Divide into 16-18 equal portions.
6. Roll each ball into a thick roti.
7. heat a tawa and cook the roat on both sides until tiny brown spots appear.
8. Smear generous amount of ghee on both sides and cook until crisp.
9. Serve them hot or at room temperature.
Mix together flour, fennel, cardamom powder and ghee.
Add cold milk and mix.
Add jaggery syrup.
Make a firm dough.
Divide into small portions.
Roll each portion to a thick disc.
Cook on a tawa.
Serve and Enjoy!!