Savarin is an yeasted cake which uses a very rich dough which constitutes of eggs and butter. This month’s Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Natalia of Gatti Fili e Farina and she challenged the daring bakers to bake Savarin. The dough is the same used for Rum Baba which is similar to Polish Babka. The savarin is usually baked in a bundt pan. When cool, it is immersed in a syrup. Then the crust is glazed with a jam. Then while serving the hole is filled with chantilly cream and fresh fruits. My actual challenge lied in replacing the eggs in the original recipe. Whenever I bake bread, I usually use curd and baking soda as the egg replacer. So for this recipe also I used curd. There were six eggs to be replaced in the recipe. As the given recipe made a huge savarin I halved the recipe and made 12 small savarins in muffin pan. I also used my new food processor to process the dough. As it is very sticky it will surely be very hard to make it by hand. With food processor it the kneading was done within 5 minutes. I also made a vanilla cream with china grass/ agar agar to serve the savarin with. As good strawberries are hard to get here, I served it along with mangoes and it was absolutely delicious. The texture of the cake turned out so nice and I am so so happy to have successfully replaced the eggs. I am linking this to yeastspotting
For The Savarin:
All Purpose Flour-1 1/2 cups
Warm Water-1 tbs
Curd/ Yogurt-3/4 cup
Baking Soda-3/4 tsp
Instant Yeast-3/4 tsp
Orange Zest-1/2 tbs
For The Vanilla Custard Cream:
Agar agar/ China Grass-5 gm
Vanilla Custard Powder-1 1/2 tbs
For The Glaze:
Apple Jam-1 tbs
For The Soaking Syrup:
Water-1 1/2 cups
Zest of one Orange
Orange Juice-3/4 cup
Cinnamon-1 small stick
Mango slices for serving
For The Savarin:
1. Mix 1 1/2 tbs of flour, yeast and warm water in a bowl and set it aside for 1 hour.
2. Mix curd and baking soda and let it bubble.
3. After 30 minutes of mixing the sponge, take a cup of flour and 1/2 cup of curd mixture in a food processor and process until fully incorporated. Cover and set it aside for 30 minutes.
4. Now add the doubled sponge, zest of orange, remaining flour( keep one tbs aside) and sugar to the prepared dough.
5. Run the processor for 2 minutes. You will see beautiful strands of the dough. This shows the formation of gluten.
6. Add salt and run the processor for 30 seconds.
7. Finally add the butter and the reserved one tbs of flour and run the processor for 2 minutes. By now the dough will be ready.
8. Transfer to a bowl, cover with cling wrap and set it aside for 2-3 hours or until the dough is double in volume.
9. Grease a muffin tray.
10. Deflate dough and with the help of ice cream scoop, divide it among the 12 molds.
11. Cover and set it aside to double.
12. Preheat oven to 170C.
13. Bake the savarins for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden.
14. When cool, loosen the savarins with a knife from the molds. Place on wire rack until completely cool.
15. Leave it overnight to dry. I placed the wire rack inside the cool oven and closed the door and left it overnight.
1. In a heavy bottomed pan add sugar, water, cinnamon and orange zest.
2. Bring to boil, switch flame to medium and let it boil for 5 minutes.
3. Let it cool down a bit.
Soaking the savarins:
1. Place the savarins inside the molds and pour ladle full of warm syrup inside each mold.
2. The savarins will absorb the syrup. Do not add more syrup as it will make the savarins soggy.
3. After 2 minutes, remove the savarins and place it on a wire rack.
4. Place the rack on the tray to catch the dripping syrup.
Vanilla Custard Cream:
1. Boil 2 cups of milk. Simmer.
2. Add the china grass to 1/2 cup of milk and let it soak for 5 minutes.
3. Heat the milk and let the china grass dissolve in milk.
4. To the other half cup of milk add the vanilla custard powder and mix until there are no lumps in it.
5. Now add this custard milk to the boiling milk and cook until the milk is slightly thick.
6. Add the china grass mixture. Mix well and remove from flame.
7. Let it cool. Refrigerate until set.
Serving The Savarins:
1. Place the savarins on a plate.
2. Mix he jam and water and apply on the savarins.
3. Top it with the set cream.
4. Serve along with fresh mango slices.