I am visiting Uzhvar Sandhai often and I am so happy to see all the fresh vegetables out there. I never miss a chance to buy the fresh green peas. There is also a vendor who sells mushroom and hot mushroom soup. We usually have a cup of the soup and when returning back will buy a pack of the fresh button mushrooms. I am really enjoying these trips and hubby had to forcibly move me away from the stalls. If not I will end up with two bags full of vegetables. Kaalan/ Mushroom is a favourite of hubby. I usually try to make many dishes with mushrooms and one of the dish is this gravy. This has a paste which is coconut based and this goes well with chapathi, paratha, parotta, idli, dosas and rice. I paired it up with fresh green peas from the sandhai and it was such a great combination for the Pudina chapathi I made for breakfast.
Button Mushrooms-200 gm
Green Peas-1 cup
Pudina Powder-1 tbs (please click on the link for the preparation of pudina powder)
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp
Coriander Powder-1 tsp
Cinnamon-a small stick
Coriander Leaves-4 tbs ( finely Chopped)
For The Paste:
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Ginger- a small piece
1. Grind coconut, garlic and ginger to a paste.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the spices.
3. When they crackle, add chopped onions.
4. Saute until golden.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes, pudina powder , turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and saute until it is cooked.
6. Add the green peas and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Add the paste and enough water to make the gravy.
8. Pressure cook the gravy for 5 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot along with any flat bread or rice or dosa.