Eggless Pistachio Apricot Biscotti Recipe is an easy to make double baked Italian crisp cookies which makes an amazing tea time treat.
The challenge with making an eggless biscotti is that it is extremely tough to slice it after baking the first time. It always turns out crumbly and heavy. I have tried Biscotti so many times, changing the ingredients but I could never get a decent Biscotti.
This time, I tried my old recipe with a binding agent, which works really great in many eggless recipes. It is none other than the Xanthan gum (you can buy it from Amazon). The quantity of gum that goes into the recipe is really small, so you don’t have to worry about the health aspect. This is a wonderful binder and I have been experimenting with the quantity to be used.
After so many fails, I finally figured out the correct proportion of gum to flour so that your bake doesn’t turn out gummy or crumbly. For 150 gm of flour, use 1/8th tsp of gum. This works in most of the cake recipes. Just add a little and see the magic.
Eggless Pistachio Apricot Biscotti Recipe – Technique involved
Making Biscotti involves a bit of work. Just follow the recipe as it is and you will get super crisp Biscotti at the end.
To make the dough, just combine dry ingredients, cream butter and sugar and add the nuts and dry fruits and flavour and make thick dough. It resembles cookie dough. Shape it into a log, bake for 20-25 minutes. Let it cool completely before slicing it. Use a serrated knife to slice evenly thick cookies.
Arrange them again on the baking tray and reduce temperature and bake further until firm to touch. You can also flip the cookies mid way during the second baking. Allow them to cool completely. Be careful not to over bake them, as it would make them hard. Under baking would result in softer cookies. So the challenge is in baking it perfectly the second time.
I also made a short video for Instagram. Check it out if you like to learn from video. I have kept it short and sweet. You will also get an idea about how the biscotti will look like at every stage.
Eggless Pistachio Apricot Biscotti Recipe
- 200 gm Granulated Sugar
- 100 gm Butter
- Zest of One Orange
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 300 gm All Purpose Flour / Maida
- ¼ tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 100 ml Milk
- ½ tsp Vinegar
- 100 gm Pistachios
- 200 gm Dried Chopped Apricot
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- In a bowl mix flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the orange zest and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add milk and vinegar and beat until creamy.
- Add in the pistachios and chopped apricots.
- Add the flour and make soft and sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Shape each portion into a log and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Bake it for 25-30 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool.
- Slice the logs with a serrated knife into thin slices.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Place the slices on the baking tray and bake the slices completely dry.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely.
- They stayed crispy for 2 days. Store in air tight jar and serve it along with a cup of coffee.