This month’s Bread Bakers host Mayuri of Mayuri’s Jikoni suggested a very nice theme. We need to use natural sweeteners in our bread. My very first thought was a quick bread when I saw the theme. But I was not very sure about flavour combinations. As I have done breads with banana and chocolate, I chose to do it with carrots and coconut. There are so many recipes for this combination and I chose a very simple recipe from Tastes of Lizzy T. But as I was doing the natural sweeteners theme, I used palm sugar instead of normal sugar and made a caramel using palm sugar to pour on the bread. I also topped it with roasted coconut.
As for making the bread eggless, I used the home made egg replacer I made earlier. From the day I put that recipe in blog, I have seen many of my readers trying it at home. And for some, they are not quite satisfied with the results. But when I asked the problems they were facing, I found that they were using too less of the powder because they are afraid of failure. For me, I have used it in so many recipes with good results. I have substituted upto three eggs in recipes. My only advice to all those who are trying that recipe is, do not be afraid. Use the quantity suggested in the post and you will surely get good results. Just to prove my point, I used the powder for this recipe and it turned out super soft and so yum. Carrot bread don’t turn out light. They are dense, heavy but soft and moist. The raisins add a nice texture to the bread.
For The Bread:
Grated Carrot – 1 cup
Grated Fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Golden Raisins – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Flour / Maida – 1 1/2 cups
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/ 4 tsp
Palm Sugar – 3/4 cup
Homemade Egg Replacing Powder – 1 tbs ( if using store bought use powder instead of two eggs as given in pack instructions)
Salt – 1/2 tsp
For The Topping:
Palm Sugar – 3 tbs
Toasted Coconut – 2-3 tbs
Preheat oven to 180°C.
In a bowl mix together carrot, coconut, milk, curd, oil and vanilla.
In another bowl mix together maida, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and egg replacer and mix well.
Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix it gently with a spoon.
Grease and line an 8″ loaf pan and transfer the batter to the pan.
Bake the bread for one hour or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Remove bread from the tin and allow it to cool completely.
Place it on a serving plate.
Heat the palm sugar with a little water and when it melts and caramel forms, add 2 tbs of water and heat until it boils.
Pour it on to the bread evenly and top it with toasted coconut.
Slice it up and enjoy!
- Grated Carrot - 1 cup
- Grated Fresh Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Curd - 1/2 cup
- Golden Raisins - 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Flour / Maida - 1 1/2 cups
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/ 4 tsp
- Palm Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Homemade Egg Replacing Powder - 1 tbs ( if using store bought use powder instead of two eggs as given in pack instructions)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Palm Sugar - 3 tbs
- Toasted Coconut - 2-3 tbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl mix together carrot, coconut, milk, curd, oil and vanilla.
- In another bowl mix together maida, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and egg replacer and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix it gently with a spoon.
- Grease and line an 8" loaf pan and transfer the batter to the pan.
- Bake the bread for one hour or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from the tin and allow it to cool completely.
- Place it on a serving plate.
- Heat the palm sugar with a little water and when it melts and caramel forms, add 2 tbs of water and heat until it boils.
- Pour it on to the bread evenly and top it with toasted coconut.
- Slice it up and enjoy!
Breads with Natural Sweeteners
- Blackberries and Honey Bread by Kidsandchic
- Cheddar Honey Flowers by Ambrosia
- Date and Chai Muffins by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Date Sweetened Banana Bread by Herbivore Cucina
- Eggless Banana Chocochip Bread with Cranberries and Coconut Sugar by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Eggless Carrot Coconut Quick Bread by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Eggless Wholewheat Maple Banana Oat Muffins by Spill the Spices
- Einkorn Drop Biscuits with Peaches and Blueberries by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- English Granary-Style No Knead Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Grape Bread by The Bread She Bakes
- Healthy Banana & Blueberry Bread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Honey Almond Banana Muffins by Baking Yummies
- Honey Cider Quick Loaf by Food Lust People Love
- Honey Cornbread by Magnolia Days
- Honey Oat Pain de Mie by Hostess At Heart
- Honey Pineapple Pull-Apart Rolls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jackfruit Honey Bread by The Schizo Chef
- Jackfruit Semolina Muffins with Jaggery by My Cooking Journey
- Mangalore Buns by Sneha’s Recipe
- Maple Bacon Cheddar & Pickle Pull-Apart Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Maple Pecan Scones by Cook’s Hideout
- Maple Oatmeal Bread by A Baker’s House
- Pain au Levian avec Banane by What Smells So Good?
- Tangerine Honey White Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.