Christmas Fruit Pastry Recipe is an easy to make with leftover fruits and readymade pre cut puff pastry sheets which makes amazing starters.
Christmas Fruit Pastry are made in a jiffy. It takes 10 minutes to arrange them and ten minutes to bake them. So if you need an evening snack or a party appetizer, then try this recipe. The filling can be either sweet or savoury, they will definitely go with the puff pastry well.
This year, I soaked lots of dry fruits, one large batch in rum and a smaller batch in orange juice. You can use either of them for the recipe. I have used the fruit juice soaked fruits as the rum soaked ones are left for next year. Make sure to drain the fruits thoroughly before using in the recipe. You don’t want the pastry to turn soggy.
Before making the recipe, take the puff pastry from freezer and let it thaw for one or two hours. It need not come to room temperature, but should be pliable enough to shape without breaking. As I got them as pre cut squares, it made my work a lot easier. If you get the whole sheet, then slice it with a sharp knife into squares.
After shaping, if the sheets are too soft, refrigerate them for half an hour before baking. This will help you bake the pastry perfectly. The filling is also very versatile. You can use any kind of left over sweets like halwa or kesari as filling. They would taste amazing. My next try would be palkova and gulab jamun.
And as usual I made a short video on how to shape these pastries. It can be confusing to read it from the recipe, so please watch the video to understand the process. It is very easy to do. Also if you haven’t followed me on Instagram, do follow to get more interesting updates on baking.
If you want to make puff pastry from scratch, then try this butter pastry. This is a really good recipe to begin with. Click on the image for the recipe.
Check these cream rolls made with rough puff pastry made from scratch. If you love elaborate recipes, then try this amazing recipe. Click on the image for recipe.
Christmas Fruit Pastry Recipe
- ¼ cup Soaked Dry Fruits
- 3 tbs Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp Sugar Optional
- 6 Puff Pastry Squares
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Mix together drained soaked dry fruits, cream cheese and sugar (if using).
- Arrange the puff pastry squares on a lined baking tray.
- Make four cuts, two joining at each corner of the pastry square.
- Place some filling in the centre of the square.
- Bring one corner of the square to the corner of the inner square (watch video to understand the process)
- Now bring the opposite corner and overlap it on the previous fold (watch the video to understand the process)
- Add some plain soaked fruits and slivered almonds on top.
- Bake the pastry for ten minutes in the pre heated oven or until it is nicely puffed and golden.
- Allow it to cool a bit before serving.