Vietnam, officially the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, is the eastern most country on the Indochins Peninsula in Southeast Asia. The country is bordered by China in the north, Laos in the northwest, Cambodia in the southwest and the South China Sea in the east. While going through recipes to try for Vietnam, I came across so many spring rolls. But not even a single cookie recipe. So I had to deviate from the theme for this country. I saw these deep fried cake recipe and at once I bookmarked it. They look so much like the ellurundai we make in Tamilnadu.
I replaced the egg in the recipe with curd and my dough turned out quite loose. So my cakes came out slightly different from the original ones. And also I was not very sure about the size. It is very difficult to judge the size of any snack by looking at a snap. And so I came up with my own idea for the size. They are slightly bigger than the ellurundai and smaller than a lemon. This cake encrusted in sesame seeds has a crispy crust and a soft and fluffy flesh. To my utter surprise Sruti liked this so much. If you are from Tamilnadu then you would know the snack we get in teas shops called as the muttakos. They are huge balls made with flour and have crack all over somewhat resembling the cabbage. I felt that these sesame balls were so much like those muttakos in taste though they look like ellurundai. Anyhow, we had a wonderful snack time today.
Recipe Source: Vietnamese Food
Makes 40 cakes
Baking Powder-1 tsp
Milk Powder-1 tbs
Curd/ Yogurt-1/4 cup
Oil-To Deep Fry
White Sesame Seeds-1 cup
In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, milk powder and salt.
Make a well in centre and add all the liquid ingredients.
Mix well to make a soft dough. At first the dough may feel a little dry but do not be tempted to add water. When the sugar melts, the dough will be loose.
Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
Take sesame seeds on a plate.
Scoop small portions of the dough and place on the seeds.
Roll to coat the ball with the seeds.
Heat oil and deep fry the balls in batches until golden.
Keep flame low so that the balls doesn’t turn brown fast.
Drain oil and allow them to cool. Serve them with a cup of coffee.
Eggless Vietnamese Fried Sesame Cake
- Flour-250 gm
- Salt-1 tsp
- Sugar-100 gm
- Baking Powder-1 tsp
- Milk Powder-1 tbs
- Oil-20 ml
- Water-50 ml
- Curd/ Yogurt-1/4 cup
- Oil-To Deep Fry
- White Sesame Seeds-1 cup
- In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, milk powder and salt.
- Make a well in centre and add all the liquid ingredients.
- Mix well to make a soft dough. At first the dough may feel a little dry but do not be tempted to add water. When the sugar melts, the dough will be loose.
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Take sesame seeds on a plate.
- Scoop small portions of the dough and place on the seeds.
- Roll to coat the ball with the seeds.
- Heat oil and deep fry the balls in batches until golden.
- Keep flame low so that the balls doesn't turn brown fast.
- Drain oil and allow them to cool. Serve them with a cup of coffee.
[inlinkz_linkup id=424452 mode=1]