Can you believe that I am cooking with rice sevai for the first time? Rice sevai is readily available in market and all you need to do is boil it, strain it and prepare any dish you want with it. You can make lemon sevai, puli sevai, upma and so on. You can substitute vermicelli with this rice sevai in so many dishes. Today I made a simple breakfast using this rice sevai and believe me it is so easy and was completed within 30 minutes. The only point in making this rice sevai is that you need to boil it perfectly. If you over cook they will turn mushy and I think it will not be that great. It tastes just like idiyappam but it is slightly thicker. I used the MTR brand rice sevai for this upma. I served this upma with Rajasthani Malai Mirch (recipe later) and it was absolutely delicious…
Rice Sevai-200 gm
Curry Leaves-2 sprigs
Mustard and Urad Dhal-1 tsp
Pineapple-1/2 cup ( cubed)
Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
1. Heat a large pan with 2 lts of water.
2. When it starts boiling, add the sevai and cook it for 6-7 minutes.
3. Keep on stirring at regular intervals and check for doneness.
4. When the sevai becomes soft, pour it immediately into a large strainer and let the water drip away.
5. Meanwhile, heat a pan with oil.
6. Add mustard, urad dhal and curry leaves.
7. When they crackle, add onions and green chillies.
8. Saute until translucent.
9. Add the pineapple cubes, turmeric powder and salt.
10. Cover and cook for a minute under low flame.
11. Add coriander leaves and the cooked sevai.
12. Remove from heat and give a nice mix.
13. Serve with a chutney of your choice.