I have been part of the South Versus North Group Challenge from January. This is the brain child of Divya of You Too Can Cook. The whole group is divided into two teams- The Southern Team and The Northern Team. Every month a member of the northern team will challenge the Southern team with an authentic North Indian Recipe and a member from the southern team will challenge the northen team with an authentic South Indian Recipe. Based on the performance of both the teams Divya will give out some awards and points to each team. The team with more points will win the challenge. Are you interested in joining the team? Click here to know more about the challenge and joining the group. This month’s challenge was given to the South Indian Team by Sanoli of Sanoli’s Kitchen. She challenged us to make a Bengali traditional recipe- Green Peas Kachori and Spicy Dum Aloo. I made it for today’s breakfast and the combination was absolutely delicious. Thank you Sanoli frorthe lovely recipe.
Sanoli’s recipe asks for baby potaoes. But as I couldn’t get it, I used the usual large potatoes. After cooking and peeling, I just cut them into small pieces before frying. The recipe was very good to follow and I ended up with a delicious dum aloo.
Recipe Source: Sanoli
Potatoes-500gm (Baby potatoes work very well)
Hing/ Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds-1/2 tsp
Green Peas-1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder-1/2 tsp
Grated Ginger-1 tsp
Coriander Powder-1 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp
Garam Masala-1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves-2-3 tbs
Thick Curd-3/4 cup
Oil-For Deep Frying
1. Pressure Cook potatoes for 3 minutes. They must be cooked yet form and they should not turn mushy.
2. Peel skin and cut them into small cubes.
3. Deep fry the pieces until golden.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and bay leaf.
5. Add ginger, green peas and chopped green chillies.
6. Add chopped tomato and the spice powders.
7. Add 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook until the peas are done.
8. Whisk curd and add it to the pan.
9. Add the potatoes and enough water to make a gravy. Add salt.
10. Cover and cook until the required consistency.
11. Serve hot along with Green Peas Kachori.