I love brinjal and love the puli kulambu my mom makes. But mom has never prepared ennai kathrikkai kulambu for me. Brinjals are stuffed with spice powder and cooked in a tamarind based gravy. IT is then served with oil floating on top. That is why it is named so. Whenever I see the snap of ennai kathrikkai kulambu on the net, I start drooling. But it never occurred for me to try it. When I was going through Sharmilee’s blog, I found the recipe for this delicious gravy. So I bought the brinjals yesterday and made it today. When the gravy was boiling the aroma of the tangy gravy filled my house and I started feeling hungry. When it was ready I relished it with hot rice and it was heavenly. I also cooked the gravy in a mud pan which increased the taste and flavour of the kulambu.
For The Spice Powder:
Channa Dhal-1 tbs
Toor Dhal-1 tbs
Coriander Seeds-1 tbs
White Sesame Seeds-1 tbs
Grated Coconut-2 tbs
For The Gravy:
Sesame Oil-4-5 tbs
Mustardf Seeds-1 tsp
Urad Dhal-1 tsp
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
Medium Sized Brinjal/ Eggplant-6-7
Tamarind-a lemon Sized Ball
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Sambar Powder-2 tsp
1. Dry roast all the ingredients for the spice powder until golden.
2. Grind it to a coarse powder.
3. Remove 1 cm of the stalk of the brinjals.
4. Make a cross cut in each brinjal to 3/4th. Do not slice them apart.
5. Stuff the cut with the spice powder. Keep the remaining for the gravy.
6. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and extract juice. Add another 1/2 cup of water and again extract the second juice.
7. Heat oil and add mustard seeds and urad dhal. When they splutter add hing and curry leaves.
8. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are golden.
9. Add the stuffed brinjals and keep flame on low.
10. Carefully turn the brinjals until they are brown.
11. Add the tamarind water and salt along with another cup of water.
12. When it boils, close the lid and cook it on medium flame for 5-8 minutes.
13. Add the spice powder, sambar powder, turmeric powder and enough water to make the gravy.
14. Bring it to boil and lower flame.
15. Close lid and cook until the brinjals are completely cooked and the gravy lets out oil.
16. Serve it hot along with steamed rice.
Roast all the ingredients for the spice powder.
Grind to a coarse powder.
Cut off the stalk of the brinjals leaving 1.5 cm.
Cut a cross incision in each brinjal.
Stuff it with the powder.
Doesn’t this looks beautiful??
Saute onions and garlic after adding the tempering ingredients.
Add the stuffed brinjals.
When browned, add tamarind water and salt. Cook for 5-8 minutes.
Add the remaining spice powder along with sambar and turmeric powder.
Boil it until the gravy lets out oil.