Last time when I posted about adhalaikkai, I promised to give a recipe for preparation. This is same as the bitter gourd stir fry. The recipe is very simple and mom used to prepare this on Kaarthigai. The crunch from the seeds gives it a nice taste. Prepare it the day you buy it or refrigerate and use it up with in three days. If not it will ripen and the adhalaikkai would break and turn yellow. The taste and the crunchiness will be gone.
Sambar Powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Mustard Urad Dhal-1 tsp
1. Prepare adhalaikkai by removing both sides (click on link for a step wise photos of preparing adhalaikkai)
2. Heat oil and add mustard and urad dhal.
3. When they splutter, add onion and saute until golden.
4. Add the prepared adhalaikkai and saute for a minute.
5. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
6. Add little water.
7. When it starts boiling, switch flame to low and cover the pan.
8. Cook until oil starts leaving.
9. Remove from flame and transfer to a serving bowl.
10. Serve it along with hot steamed rice and rasam.