Recipe Adapted From: Sanjeev Kapoor
For The Dough:
Besan/ Gram Flour-1cup
For The Masala:
Cumin Powder-1 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp
1. Mix all the ingredients given for the filling in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, add besan, salt, wheat flour and ghee. Give a nice mix.
3. Add enough water to make a soft dough. At first the dough tends to stick to the palm.
4. Cover and keep it aside for 10minutes.
5. Knead it again and the dough is perfect now.
6. Divide it into 6 equal portions.
7. Roll out each portion into a 10cm circle.
8. Divide the filling into 6 portions. Apply one portion on the disc.
9. Fold it twice to make a triangle.
10. Roll it again to make a thin triangular roti.
11. Heat tawa and cook the roti on both sides until golden.
12. Apply ghee and serve it hot.
Besan Ki Masala Roti
For this month’s Indian Cooking Challenge, Srivalli gave two recipes for Indian Flat breads from Haryana cuisine. The recipe for this roti is from the renowned chef Sanjeev Kapoor. I will be doing the other recipe later. This roti as the name suggests is made of besan or gram flour and has a masala filling inside. The roti is shaped in triangular shape and was very easy to prepare. The recipe uses ghee but if you want you can always go in for oil instead. But I tried it with ghee and the roti was very flavourful. The masala filling was so tasty and it didn’t need any side dish. Though I served it along with a gravy, I prefer to eat it along with some curd.
Prepare dough balls.
Prepare the filling.
Roll out the disc and apply the filling on it.
Fold it twice to make a triangle.
Roll into a thin triangle.
Cook on both sides, apply ghee and serve.