Today the recipe from Vaishali’s blog is a guilt free samosa which is baked. It uses only a tablespoon of oil for the batch of 20-22 small samosas. I love samosas and as it is deep fried I have not prepared it at home. Also I have been searching for a perfect stuffing recipe. The stuffing of samosas available at north Indian chaat shops is very different from the samosas available in cinema halls and other shops in Madurai. The stuffing which Vaishali has shared is a perfect match to those available at chaat shops and I am very happy. Green peas are source of calcium and to increase the calcium content I added crumbled paneer to the stuffing. Hubby was not very keen in eating the baked samosas. He prefers the fried ones, but I am thoroughly satisfied with this guilt free snack. It is better to serve it warm rather than hot because the outer cover of the samosa was very hard to bite when very hot. But when it became warm, the crunch was perfect. Serve it to those who are health conscious and they will surely be happy.
Recipe Source: Vaishali
For The Dough:
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-1cup
For The Filling:
Red Chilly Powder-1tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder-1/4tsp
Salt-to taste(as the stuffing has black salt, add salt after tasting)
For The Dough:
1. Add all the ingredients and prepare a firm dough. Add water little by little. You may not use up all the 3/4cup of water.
2. Divide dough into 10 equal portions.
For The Stuffing:
1. Boil potatoes, peel and mash them.
2. Boil green peas and drain.
3. Crumble paneer.
4. Heat oil and add cumin and coriander seeds.
5. Add the mashed potatoes, peas, paneer and all the other ingredients.
6. Give a nice mix and remove from flame.
7. Allow it to cool.
Preparing The Samosas:
1. Roll out the ball into a thin disc.
2. Slice it into two equal ahlf circles.
3. Fold as shown in the picture.
4. Place stuffing inside the cone.
5. Seal the edges with a little water.
6. Grease a baking tray.
7. Preheat oven to 180C.
8. Brush all the prepared samosas with oil.
9. Place them on the tray and bake for 20-25minutes.
10. Keep on turning them every 5 minutes until all the sides are golden.
11. Remove from oven and bring them to warm temperature.
12. Serve with tomato ketchup.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#19