Cake Flour-1 1/2cups
Butter Milk-1/4cup(substitute for 1 egg)
Milk-1/4cup + 1tsp Vinegar(substitute for 1 egg)
Curd-1/4cup(substitute for 1 egg)
Unsalted Butter-13tbs/ 185gm
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Grease and dust an 8″ * 4″ * 2.5″ loaf pan (this was the size of pan mentioned in the recipe) but I used 7″ * 3″ * 1.5″ loaf pan and a smaller loaf pan measuring 6″ * 2.5″ * 1.5″(these were the pans I had, so I got two cakes slightly different in size)
3. Cake Flour: Take 1 1/2cups of flour and remove 3tbs flour from it. Substitute the removed flour with 3 tbs corn flour. Sift it thrice.
4. In a large bowl take all the dry ingredients and with a hand mixer beat it for 30seconds.
5. Add all the substitutes of egg along with vanilla and 3tbs milk and whisk lightly.
6. Add butter and 1/3rd liquid to the dry ingredients and beat on low speed till well combined. Then beat the mixer on medium speed for one minute. This helps in aerating the mixture and develop the cake’s texture.
7. Add 1/3rd liquid and beat for 20seconds.
8. Add the remaining liquid and beat again for 20seconds.
9. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the surface.
10. Bake for 30-35minutes. (after 15 minutes cover the cake with aluminium foil to avoid browning fast) The smaller pan can be removed 5 minutes before the larger pan.
11. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before flipping.
12. Grease the wire rack and flip the cake on it and again flip the cake to bring the top to top.
13. Let it cool completely and serve.
Eggless Pound Cake
For this month’s Sweet Punch , the team selected Pound Cake from The Cake Bible by Rose. The method of preparation is quite different from the usual cake making. Usually we beat butter and sugar and then add the dry ingredients. But in this recipe, dry ingredients are mixed together and the liquid ingredients and butter are added in batches. As usual, I tried preparing the eggless version of the given recipe and succeeded in my attempt. The cake was so soft and moist with a firm crust. My daughter and hubby liked it. Sruti even took it to school.