Pudachi Wadi is a special Maharashtrian snack which uses fresh coriander leaves as filling. Srivalli selected Pudachi Wadi for this month’s ICC. The recipe is from Archana of Tried and Tasted Recipes. I have not changed any ingredient in the original recipe. It came out great. Especially the tamarind and garam masala paste gives a nice tangy taste to the filling. After frying 5 rolls, I baked the remaining roll in oven for a guilt free snack. Thank you Valli for selecting this wonderful snack for the challenge.
Recipe Source: Archana
For The Dough:
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp
Ginger Green Chilly Paste-1tsp
Red Chilly Powder-1/2tsp
Oil-For deep frying
1. Mix all the ingredients for dough. Add little water and prepare a stiff dough.
2. Let it rest for 30minutes.
3. Clean and wash coriander leaves. Spread them on a clean towel and press it with another towel to remove all the water content. This step is very much needed because even a small amount of water in the leaves may make the rolls soggy.
4. Finely chop the coriander leaves.
5. Dry roast coconut, khus khus and till seeds separately.
6. Grind them together to a coarse powder.
7. Heat oil and add finely chopped onion. Add ginger green chilly paste and finely chopped garlic.
8. When the raw smell vanishes remove from fire.
9. Mix the other ingredients for the filling to the onion mixture and set it aside.
10. Soak little tamarind in 3tbs water for 15minutes.
11. In a steel mesh strain the tamarind along with water. You will get a thick paste.
12. Add oil and garam masala to the tamarind paste and mix well.
13. Take a lemon sized ball from the dough and roll it into a circle.
14. Apply tamarind paste on the circle.
15. Spread the filling on the paste leaving 1cm along the edge.
16. Apply water on the edge.
17. Bring the opposite edges of the circle together.
18. Bring the remaining edges of the circle together on both the sides forming a pyramid shape(please refer photo tutorial)
19. Heat enough oil in a pan. Fry the rolls till golden brown.
20 Serve them hot along with green chutney and sweet chutney.
|Prepare a stiff dough|
|Prepare the filling|
|Roll out a small ball into a circle|
|Apply the paste|
|Spread the filling and apply water along the edge|
|Bring the two opposite edges together|
|Gather the remaining open ends to form a pyramid shape.|
|Deep fry till golden brown|
|Make a ball combining four small balls and roll into a circle. Apply paste and filling|
|Roll into a log and bake in a 150C oven till the roll is golden brown|
|Slice into small rolls and serve|