When I went to the store near our home, I saw a baby jack fruit there. Though I don’t know how to prepare it, I just bought it. I can surely learn from mom. The next day I asked mom on how to clean, cut and prepare baby jack fruit. She gave me the necessary directions. I prepared Palapodi the first day and had a cup of grated Jack fruit remaining. Tomorrow I will post about the other recipe.
When we lived in Theni, the street vendors would bring Palapodi(grated Baby Jack Fruit). My mom used to prepare it often. I have tasted it but never bothered to ask about the preparation. In Madurai the vendors don’t sell grated baby jack fruit. So it is necessary that we prepare it.
It is really an interesting process. You can use a sharp knife but I am comfortable with aruvalmanai (an instrument used in cutting vegetables in South India). As the skin is tough to cut, it needs some strength to cut jack fruit. Keep a white cloth dipped in till oil handy. The resin from the fruit will make the blade sticky. Wipe the resin with the cloth and the stickyness is gone forever. Even your hands will become messy. Take a tsp of till oil and apply it all over your palms. Leave it for a minute and wash with a soap. The mess will be gone.
Grated Baby Jack Fruit-1 1/2cups(Prepare it as shown in the tutorial)
Mustard and urad dhal-1tsp
1. Cut the jack fruit as shown in the tutorial.
2. In a vessel add 1/4cup buttermilk to water and add the cut pieces.
3. Bring it to boil and let it cook.
4. When a knife inserted goes smooth into the pieces, the baby jack fruit is done.
5. Remove from water and allow it to cool.
6. Grate it in a medium sized grater.
7. Take 1 1/2cups of the grated jack fruit for the stir fry preparation.
8. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard and urad dhal. Add curry leaves if using.
9. Add the green chillies and onion.
10. Saute till golden brown.
11. Add the grated jack fruit and salt to taste.
12. Mix well.
13. Add the grated coconut and switch off flame.
14. Give a nice stir and transfer to a serving bowl.
|Baby Jack Fruit|
|Cut the stem part. Wipe the milk with a cloth soaked in till oil|
|Cut the fruit into two|
|Remove the rough skin|
|Cut each portion into 4 parts|
|Remove the central hard portion|
|Add the pieces to water and buttermilk mixture|
|Once cooked remove from water and let it cool|
|Grate the pieces in a medium sized grater. Refrigerate the remaining grated fruit for another dish.|