Raw rice(Ponni pacha arisi)-1cup
1. Boil water and add rice and moong dhal.
2. Let it cook on low flame.In the mean time add a little water to jaggery and bring it to boil. When the jaggery is completely dissolved and starts boiling switch off flame and filter the syrup to get rid of impurities.
3. When all the water has been absorbed add coconut milk and milk.
4. Cook it again on low flame. Stir it often because the dhal tends to stick to the bottom.
5. When the rice is cooked to porridge consistency add jaggery syrup.
6. Let it boil for atleast 10minutes on low flame.
7. Heat ghee and add broken cashew. Fry till golden brown.
8. Add it to pongal and mix well. Switch off flame.
9. Serve it hot or cold. Pongal tastes better when it has cooled down. Enjoy.
1. Do not add jaggery syrup before the rice is completely cooked.
2. Do not add jaggery when the rice has more water. This will make the pongal watery.