This is the simple form of rasam. There are many varieties which I will be posting in the future.
Tamarind-1 lemon sized ball
Pepper and cumin powder-2tsp
Coriander leaves-for garnishing
1. Soak tamarind and tomatoes in 2 cups of water for 10minutes.
2. Mash them well until the juice of both are extracted.
3. Filter this into the dhal stock.
4. Break chilly into small pieces and add it to the dhal stock. Add crushed garlic,pepper and cumin powder.
5. Heat oil and add mustard,cumin, methi, curry leaves and add the dhal stock.
6. Keep the flame on medium high till the rasam comes to boiling stage. Do not allow it to boil.
7. Pour it into the serving vessel and add salt and coriander leaves. Close lid to retain flavour.
|Soak tomatoes and tamarind|
|Crush them well|
|Filter it into dhal stock and add chilly and pepper powder|
|Splutter spices and curry leaves|
|Add dhal stock|
|Switch off flame when it is in the stage of boiling.|