As I have promised earlier, I am sharing thie recipe for curry leaves spice powder. When I posted kariveppilai kulambu recipe, I had some feedback from readers who asked for the spice powder recipe too. My grand mom used to make this often. She always had a jar full of this powder. She used to suffer from stomach ache and during that time, she takes this along with rice and gingelly oil. . I don’t remember the proportion she used but this is my version of the spice powder. I love the flavour of sesame seeds in spice powder, so I added to this. The original powder which granny used to make didn’t have it. This is just an adaptation of her recipe to suit my style of cooking. This is mild on stomach. To make it spicy you could add extra red chillies. Palm sugar gives a nice sweetness to this powder. Tamarind adds an extra kick to the flavours. This powders has so many flavours mixed up. Even my daughter loves to have this podi with rice but she has it with ghee. Fried or roasted appalm can be a great side dish for this combination. Do try it out and share your views.
Curry Leaves-2 cups fully packed
Urad dhal-1/2 cup
Sesame Seeds-3 tbs
Tamarind-a small ball
Palm Sugar-3 tbs
1. Remove curry leaves from the stalk, wash it and spread it on a plate.
2. Dry in shade until there is no water droplets left.
3. In a pan add urad dhal and roast until golden. Transfer to a plate.
4. In the same pan add red chillies and sesame seeds.
5. When they start popping transfer to the urad dhal plate.
6. Remove any twigs in tamarind and saute it on the hot pan for a few minutes. Transfer it to the plate.
7. Roast salt and asafoetida for a few seconds and put them back on the plate.
8. Now roast the curry leaves until crispy on low flame.
9. Transfer to another plate and let all the ingredients cool.
10. In a mixture jar, take the urad dhal and other ingredients along with palm sugar and grind to a coarse powder.
11. Now add the curry leaves and process until coarsely ground.
12. Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool completely.
13. Store in an airtight jar.
14. Use with hot steamed rice and a dollop of ghee..
Wash and dry the curry leaves.
Dry roast the leaves.
Roast until crispy.
Dry roast the other ingredients. Blend them all in a mixer jar. Enjoy with rice!!