Whole Wheat Jaggery Cookies are buttery crisp cookies that are mildly sweet which makes a healthy option for snacks.
These whole wheat chocolate cookies don’t have any refined ingredients and is quite easy to make. I also haven’t used baking powder or baking soda, as many readers want them to be. These cookies are mildly sweet and are so buttery and tastes amazing. So if you are looking for a snack for your kid or adults at home without involving maida or white sugar, then this is a must try recipe.
Whole-Wheat Jaggery Cookies Recipe – Flour to be used
When it comes to using whole wheat flour in bakes, I prefer Ashirwad Sharbati Atta. Or I get whole wheat kernels and grind it at the nearby flour mill. These two give almost zero after taste in bakes. The other brands I have tried always turns out terrible. I am adding the links to the ingredients below. Please check them out in Amazon, if interested.
Important points to be noted while making Whole wheat Cookies
Cookies dough will be slightly crumbly in texture. It easily comes together when you roll it with a cling film on the dough.
Try to roll it to even thickness. If the thickness is uneven, they won’t bake properly in oven.
Use a spatula to handle the cut out cookies. It is easier to remove and place on tray. Do not try to pick them up as they will break easily.
As the ovens always have hotspots, it is better to rotate the tray midway through baking. I always rotate the tray at the end of ten minutes.
While the cookies come out of oven, they will be soft to touch. Do not try to over bake them to make them crisp.
The cookies continue baking even after you remove them from oven. So when they cool down, they will become crisp.
If you try to make the cookies crisp when out of oven, they then become too hard when cool. So don’t over bake.
Store them in airtight container. Otherwise, they will absorb the moisture from air and soften up.
They stay good at room temperature. So no need to refrigerate.
Check out my Cookies page for 135 varieties of cookies from around the world. Click on the image to visit the page.
Whole Wheat Jaggery Cookies
- 150 g Whole wheat flour
- 30 g Jaggery Powder
- 10 g Corn Flour
- 100 g Butter
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and keep it ready.
- Mix together wheat flour, corn flour, powdered jiggery and stir well to combine.
- Add room temperature butter and vanilla and mix to form slightly crumbly dough.
- Take the dough on a rolling mat, place a cling film on top and roll it to ¼” thickness.
- Using a 2.5” cookie cutter, cut out cookies on the rolled dough.
- Use a spatula to remove the cut out cookies from the mat and transfer to the lined baking tray.
- Gather the remaining dough, place the cling film on top and repeat rolling and cutting.
- Once all the dough is used up, use a fork to make indentations on top of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Rotate tray by 10 minutes for even baking.
- Take it out of oven and let the cookies cool in the tray itself.
- Remove them and store in airtight container at room temperature.