After I migrated to own domain, I have been super busy doing changes to my site and I am staying away from baking. It has been a week since I used my oven and I am really feeling guilty. Two months before, I joined a Face Book page known as the Home Bakers Guild. It has been a wonderful experience in that group. And I came across so many talented bakers there. One among them is Subhashini of Fondbites. When I was going through her blog, I stumbled upon an interesting baking group in her blog. It is Bake Along in which a group of enthusiastic bakers bake a recipe every week. I have joined them for the 29th edition. For this month the recipe Subhashini chose is quite simple yet very very addictive. You could never stop with a couple of these home made cheese crackers.
After making Cheddar Sage Scones, I had 100gm of cheddar cheese left and I decided to use it in this recipe. I halved the original recipe and had a tray full of crackers. This took only 30 minutes from start to finish. Preheat the oven before preparing the dough, finish shaping and cutting the crackers in 15 minutes and place them in the oven which is ready. It takes another 15 minutes for it to bake and at the end you have a bowl full of crispy delicious crackers. Let the crackers become brown. Otherwise you will end with soft crackers. My daughter loved it. I tasted a couple of crackers and hubby got some 5 of the crackers. All the others went to Sruti. She even took it for her snacks today.
Recipe Source: Fond Bites
Cold Butter-25 gm
Cold Cheddar Cheese-100 gm
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. In a bowl take flour and add sugar, salt, grated butter and cheese and milk.
3. Mix it gently with your fingertips to make it crumbly.
4. Now knead it slightly to bring every thing together into a dough. It will be slightly crumbly.
5. Dust the counter, place the dough on it and roll it into a square of 1/4″ thickness.
6. Using a pastry cutter or pizza cutter cut it into small squares measuring 1.5 cm.
7. Grease a pan with butter, place the squares on it leaving a little gap in between. With the help of a blunt object, make small indent in the centre of each cracker.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and allow it to cool in the tray.
10. Remove the crackers once cool and enjoy with a cup of coffee. Store the remaining crackers in an airtight jar and refrigerate.
Take all the ingredients in a bowl.
Slightly mix it with fingertips.
Roll the dough on a counter into a square.
Cut into small squares with a pizza cutter
With the help of a blunt rod, make small indent in the centre of the squares. This is to avoid too much puffing while baking.
Bake the crackers until golden.