Recipe Source: Kothiyavunu
Nendram Kaai/ Raw Banana- 3
Water-1/2 cup mixed with 1/4 tsp of salt
Dried Ginger Powder-1 tbs
Cardamom Powder-1 tsp
Cumin Powder-1 tsp
Oil-To Deep Fry
Granulated Sugar-2-3 tbs
1. Peel banana’s skin and immerse in water along with turmeric powder and a pinch of salt for 30 minutes. This is to retain the colour of the banana and to remove the stickiness.
2. Remove from water, pat them dry and slit them into half lengthwise. Then cut into 1.5 cm thick slices.
3. Deep fry the pieces in oil of medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
4. Mix water and salt to make the saline solution.
5. Minimize the flame and sprinkle the saline solution on the chips. Immediately cover with lid to avoid spluttering.
6. When the sizzling stops, remove lid and keep on frying on medium flame. Keep on stirring to get even colour.
7. It takes about 20-25 minutes for the banana pieces to cook and change colour, and become crispy.
8. Remove from oil and transfer to a plate.
9. In a heavy bottomed pan, add jaggery and water.
10. When it completely dissolves, strain it with a strainer and place it on heat again.
11. When it starts boiling keep on stirring until the syrup becomes thick.
12. When you drop it into a bowl of water, it should form a pearl.
13. At this stage add the fried banana slices and mix well to coat the pieces evenly with jaggery.
14. Add the ginger powder, cardamom powder and cumin powder and mix well.
15. Now remove it from heatand allow it to cool for 2 minutes.
16. Add the granulated sugar and mix well.
17. Allow it to cool completely.
18. Once cool the pieces will not stick to each other.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32