For The Kronuts:
For The Dough:
Flour/ Maida-1 1/2 cups + 1/3 cup
Milk-1/4 cup+1 tbs
Instant Yeast-1 1/4 tsp
Butter-1 3/4 tbs
Butter-1/2 cup+1/6 cup
Oil-For Deep Frying
For The Pastry Cream:
Corn Flour-1/8 cup
Vanilla Essence-1/4 tsp
Cinnamon- a pinch
Dark Chocolate -For Dipping Kronuts
Cinnamon Sugar-For Sprinkling on top
Eggless Pastry Cream:
1. Mix together milk, cinnamon, corn flour and sugar.
2. Bring it to boil and keep on stirring until the mixture becomes very thick.
3. Remove from flame, add vanilla essence and mix well.
4. Place a cling wrap to cover the cream touching the top to avoid formation of film.
5. Refrigerate until use.
For The Dough:
1. Mix together flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
2. In a sauce pan mix milk and butter and heat until butter melts.
3. Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
4. Add the curd and mix well.
5. Add this to the flour mixture and mix to form a dough. The dough will be crumbly at first. But when you start kneading, the sugar will start melting and the dough will become soft and smooth. So do not add water to make it soft. Then you will end up with a sticky dough.
6. Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
7. Place in a bowl, coat with oil and cover with cling wrap and let it double.
8. When double, punch the dough to degas.
9. Place it again in a bowl, coat it with oil, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Laminating The Dough:
1. Cut butter into 1/2 inch slices and form it into a rough square on a butter paper.
2. Cover with another butter paper and slightly beat it with a rolling pin to merge the pieces.
3. Now remove the top paper and slice the butter into a 4″ * 5″ rectangle. Place the cut out pieces on top and place the paper on it again.
4. Again press the butter with the rolling pin to make a rectangle block of butter.
5. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
6. Remove the dough from fridge and roll into a 10″ * 10″ square.
7. It will be very firm and you will have a tough time rolling it. Do not expect it to be smoother.
8. Now place the firmed butter in the centre of the rectangle.
9. Follow the pictures for clear instructions on laminating the dough.
10. Refrigerating the dough in between folds is very important as you don’t want to break the dough and butter oozing out of the dough.
11. The important point is that, both the dough and butter should be at the same consistency. If the dough is harder then it will tear and soft butter will ooze out of the dough.
12. So it takes time and a lot of practice to master this art. But still if you feel the dough is tearing rest it for some time before rolling it and if you feel the dough is very soft then refrigerate it before rolling.
13. Once folding 4 times is over, roll out the dough into a rectangle of 1/4″ thickness, place on a lined tray, cover with a butter paper and refrigerate for a day.
Frying, Filling And Finishing The Kronuts:
1. The next day, use a larger cap of bottle to cut the kronuts and a smaller cap for the centre of the kronuts.
2. Once cut, arrange on a tray lined with butter paper, cover with a towel and let it double for 45 minutes.
3. Now place it in refrigerator and leave it there for 1 hour or until firm.
4. Heat oil in a deep pan.
5. Deep fry the kronuts one by one until golden on both sides.
6. If you are just coating it with cinnamon sugar, then drop the hot kronuts in the sugar and roll to coat it completely.
7. Serve it warm.
8. If you opt for filling it, then allow it to cool.
9. Take the pastry cream in a piping bag with a pointed nozzle.
10. Insert the nozzle in the sides of kronuts and pipe some pastry cream into it.
11. Melt some chocolate in a double boiler, dip the filled kronuts into the chocolate and sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar immediately.
12. Allow the chocolate to set.
13. Serve immediately and Enjoy!!!
Fill it in a piping bag.