Today is the first day of Blogging Marathon #21. I will be posting under Sweets for diabetics for the three days. Rava kesari is the traditional south Indian sweet which is prepared for every festival and it has a place in the marriage parties. It is very much part of the culture. I just wanted to try out a sugar free version so that even a diabetic can indulge in this sweet treat during festivals. I used Sugar Free- a substitute for sugar with low calorie. It is actually measured same as sugar and you will not be able to find out the difference. I served it to my daughter and she liked it very much. She finished all the slices I served her and was asking for more. I used little ghee and added some olive oil. But it tasted great. I also added almonds and raisins to give it a nice crunch.
- Dry roast rava until slightly brown. Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool.
- In a pan add 1tsp of ghee and add chopped almonds and raisins.
- When they turn golden add water. Add cardamom powder and food colour.
- When it comes to boil add rava and stir continuously to avoid formation of lumps.
- When the water is fully absorbed by the rava add sugar and mix well.
- Add the oil and remaining ghee.
- Give a nice stir and when the mixture leaves the sides transfer on to a plate.
- Allow it to cool.
- Slice it to desired shape and serve.