For this month’s Baring Baker’s Challenge, Audax of Audax Artifex has taken us back to basics of making scones or baking powder biscuits. He has provided with so many recipes to try from. I made a version of my own adding cheese and apricot. These biscuits are sweet and very soft and fluffy. The crust and base are crisp while the inner portion is soft. It is best to relish it when still warm.
Milk for glazing
1. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sift it three times.
2. Add the cold butter and rub with your finger tips to make a fine crumbly flour(this gives soft scones). If you want your scones flaky then the crumbs should be pea sized.
3. Add sugar, cheese and chopped apricot. Add milk and make a crumbling dough. Do not over knead. Just bring every thing together.
4. On a floured counter, place the dough and knead it 4-5times until well combined.
5. Pat the dough into a rectangle with 3/4inches thickness.
6. Cut into squares. I got 20 scones.
7. Place on a baking tray lined with butter paper. Glaze the top with milk.
8. Preheat oven to 240C.
9. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden.
10. Immediately transfer to a wire rack.
11. Serve it warm with a cup of coffee.
Mix flour, salt, baking powder and butter to form a crumbly flour.
Add sugar, cheese and apricot.
Add milk, bring the dough together. Pat it on a floured surface into a rectangle.
Cut it into squares.
Place on a lined baking tray.
Bake for 10-15minutes.
Biscuits were very crisp on the crust and the crumb was very soft.