This is a chettinad gravy with tamarind as the base and eggplant as the main ingredient. It was absolutely delicious and we enjoyed it with appalam for our lunch. Eggplants or brinjals must be tiny to make this gravy delicious. So whenever you come across the tiny brinjals, do not forget to try this out.
Sambar Powder-1 1/2tsp
Tamarind-Lemon Sized Ball
Fennel / Sombu-1/2tsp
Curry Leaves-a sprig
1. Retaining the stalk of brinjals, make two cuts in the middle.
2. Heat oil and splutter mustard, fennel, methi and curry leaves.
3. Add the whole pearl onions, garlic and tomato and saute till they are completely cooked.
4. Add the brinjals and saute till they change colour.
5. Add tamarind water, salt, red chilly powder, turmeric and mix well.
6. Cover and cook on low flame until thick.
7. Serve it hot with steamed rice and papad.