Today is the first day in the second week of Blogging Marathon#9. For this week I have chosen Regional Specials. I chose Chettinad cuisine for this theme. Chettinad cuisine is very famous and it has so many mouthwatering dishes. I am trying to capture some dishes from the lots and lots of delicious delicacies. I bought a recipe book on chettinad cuisine a few months ago. But I have never tried out a recipe from it. Now I have got a nice opportunity to use the book. The first recipe is the milagai mandi. Mandi is a dish which uses water used to wash rice as an ingredient. There are so many variety of mandi in the book. But this milagai mandi using green chillies looked nice. So I prepared it for today’s lunch. I am going to pair it with rice and Karunaikilangu masiyal (recipe from the same book) and appalam.
Tamarind-goose berry sized ball
Water used to rinse rice-1cup
Mustard and urad dhal-1tsp
1. While washing rice for steaming, do not discard the water. Save one cup of water.
2. Soak tamarind in little water and extract juice.
3. Heat oil and add mustard, urad dhal and hing.
4. When they splutter add the peeled whole pearl onions, slit green chillies and garlic. Saute until golden.
5. Add chopped tomato and cook on low flame until the tomato becomes mushy.
6. Add the tamarind juice, the reserved water, salt and turmeric.
7. When it starts boiling, switch flame t low and cover the pan.
8. Cook until it turns thick and oil starts floating.
9. Serve it with steamed rice and enjoy.