Today is the second day of Blogging Marathon#9 under the theme regional specials. As you all know, I chose the chettinad cuisine for my theme. Yesterday I prepared these sweet, delicious and juicy paniyarams for evening tiffin. My hubby liked it a lot. The actual recipe uses deep fried paniyarams but, I used a paniyaram pan to prepare the paniyarams because I can control the usage of oil in this type. If you love deep fried ones, then do try. It will be tastier than this.
For the Paniyaram:
For the Coconut Milk:
Sugar-1/4-1/2cup (as per taste)
1. Wash and soak rice and urad dhal for 2 hours.
2. Add salt and grind it to a fine paste. If using paniyaram pan, the batter should be of idli batter consistency.
3. If deep frying the paniyaram, then grind it with very less water to prepare a thick batter. You should be able to handle it with your hand.
4. Heat oil in a pan(if deep frying) and take small portions of the dough in your hand and drop it into oil. If sticky, apply oil in your fingers. Fry until lightly brown.
5. If using paniyaram pan, grease the pan and add batter to fill the moulds. Flip when one side is done and remove when totally cooked.
6. grind coconut using little water. Extract the milk using a nylon strainer. Add some more water and grind it again. Extract second milk. Discard the coconut.
7. Add required quantity of sugar and cardamom powder. Add the hot paniyarams to the milk and let it soak for 30 minutes.
8. Serve it in the evening and enjoy.