When Harini-Jaya announced their planning a menu event, I wanted to try out some new combinations. This is the menu I planned for the event. I prepared all the dishes except the dessert. As I have posted the dessert’s recipe, I will just link it here.
The conditions while preparing the menu was as follows.
1. Oats/Wheat Flour
3. Palak/Okra/Bottle Gourd/
4. Toor Dhal
The participant has to use all the ingredients to plan a three course menu. Rice and roti are assumed to be present.
The menu I prepared :
1. Appetizer- Suraikkai Pakora
2. Main Course-Palak Sambar with Rice
3. Side Dish- Suraikkai & Vendaikkai Poriyal
4. Dessert- Eggless Oats and Apple Cheese Cake
I tried this palak sambar with out tamarind. We didn’t miss tamarind at all. It was yummy.
Palak-1 bunch(Chopped into small pieces)
Mustard& Urad Dhal-1tsp
Coriander leaves-for garnish
1. Pressure cook toor dhal with turmeric powder and till oil.
2. Heat refined oil and splutter mustard, urad dhal, methi seeds and asafoetida.
3. Add chopped onion and saute till golden brown.
4. Add tomatoes and saute until they are cooked.
5. Add the palak leaves and switch flame to low.
6. Add salt and cook the palak leaves in a closed pan. When done add the cooked dhal.
7. Add sambar powder and let it boil on medium flame for 5 minutes.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Sending this to Design a Menu at Tamalapaku