Coriander leaves(kothumalli)-a handful
1. Soak urad dhal for 15minutes.
2. In a wet grinder, grind the soaked dhal without water.
3. When the grinder starts grinding, sprinkle handful of water and grind it to a fine paste.
4. The paste should be fluffy.
5. Take the dhal paste in a bowl and add salt.
6. Add the other ingredients except oil and mix well.
7. Heat oil in a pan.
8. Dip your hand in water and take a small portion of the mixture, flatten it and make a hole in the centre.
9. Drop it gently in the hot oil.
10. When one side is brown, flip and fry the other side also.
11. When the vadai is fully fried, remove from oil.
12. Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
1. The trick of getting perfect vadai lies in grinding the dhal. Grind it for 30 minutes or more to make it fluffier.
2. Add very less amount of water while grinding.
3. Adding rice flour makes the vadai crisp.
4. The oil should be very hot. Otherwise vadai will absorb more oil and will become soggy.
5. If the water content in the dhal mixture is more, then the vadai will absorb oil and become soggy.
6. It takes a lot of patience and practice to get perfect vadai.
Ulunda Vadai / Urad Dhal Vadai
My mom used to prepare these yummy vadai along with ven pongal. The combination was so delicious. After marriage, I wanted to prepare it like my mom but never got it correct. Then I asked her about the exact method and tried it. It came out nice with crispy outer layer and softer inner flesh. We thoroughly enjoyed it with sambar and coconut chutney.