Today I am giving a recipe which I experimented. The recipe is for a cake with egg. I just replaced those eggs with tofu. I prepared this cake for my daughter’s birthday. It was a soft cake. As I have given the frosting techniques in another post, I am just giving you the recipe here. Just take a peek into the other post if you want to know about the frosting method. It is a very easy recipe which I adapted from Serious Cakes. The cake uses vanaspathi/shortening. The next time I will try it with butter. I have halved the given recipe.The full recipe will give you a 9″ cake.
- Powder sugar in a mixer.
- Grind tofu and 1/8cup milk to a fine paste.
- Mix butter milk and 1/4cup milk with vanilla extract.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, soda and salt 3 times.
- Beat vanaspathi till soft and fluffy(4minutes). Add sugar and beat it again till fluffy. It is better to use an electric beater.
- Add the tofu, milk and buttermilk mixture and beat well.
- Now add the flour and 1 3/4cup milk alternately to prepare a smooth batter. At this stage use a wooden spoon and do not beat the batter hard.
- Mix it in single direction. You can use the mix and fold technique.
- Grease a cake tin and dust it with flour. Preheat oven to 175C.
- Pour the batter in the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When a tooth pick inserted comes out clean, remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Simple Syrup:
Mix sugar and water and bring it to a boil. Switch off stove and allow it to cool. This is the simple syrup. Drizzle this syrup on the cake to make it moist.
- I prepared two small cakes, Drizzled the syrup on both and layered them with a butter cream layer in between.
- Butter Cream:
Beat butter until soft.
Add the icing sugar and slowly incorporate it into the butter.
When you have finished adding the sugar, add milk and vanilla extract.
Beat it for 5-7minutes. The more you beat, the smoother the butter cream will be.
- Then frost the cake (for frosting technique click here) and pipe your favorite design on the cake.