This is my favourite pickle and goes well with any dish. As we use a lot of oil and salt it is not necessary to refrigerate it. It stays good for 1-2 months when stored in airtight jars. My mom used to prepare 3-4 bottles of this pickle during the mango season when we were kids. Once prepared we ate the pickle with dosas, idlis, chapathis and all type of rices. Until it is finished we do not turn to any other side dish my mom prepares. It is such a nice pickle and it brings back nice memories.
Raw mango- 2cups (cut to small pieces)
Red chilly powder-1/4cup
Mustard,urad dhal and curry leaves for seasoning
1. Cut mango into small pieces.
2. Add salt and chilly powder and let it rest for a while.
3. Because of the addition of salt the mangoes will let out water.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard, urad dhal and curry leaves.
5. Add the mangoes and stir for a minute.
6. Switch off flame and allow it to cool.
7. Store in airtight jars for further use.
|Cut mango into small pieces|
|Add salt and chilly powder|
|Mix and let it rest for a while|
|After stirring allow it to cool before transferring to a pickle jar|