This is one of my favourite milk sweets. I saw a TV program by Cook Chellam few years back. She gave this recipe. The procedure is a little different from the other recipes I have seen in cook books. This makes super soft rasgollas. The procedure involves preparing whey before one day. Fermented whey is used in preparing paneer which is so soft than the paneer prepared with lemon juice. The other step is the soaking of rasgollas in cold water. After this procedure when the rasgollas are dropped in hot sugar syrup, they remain soft. I hope you all like this.I will link the preparation of paneer here. The whey is important so do not pour it into the sink.
- Preparation of whey water is the first step for rasgolla. Prepare paneer using lemon juice wit 1 litre of milk. Use this paneer for some other purpose. Save the whey.
- After 24 /36 hours the whey water would be fermented.
- Heat 1 litre of milk and When it starts boiling add the fermented whey water.
- When the milk curdles switch off flame and stir the milk till the whey separates completely and becomes transparent.
- Strain the paneer onto a muslin cloth lined strainer.
- After the water has completely filtered (takes about 30minutes) transfer the paneer to a plate and knead it for 15minutes until it becomes a smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of the paneer and roll it tight.
- Meanwhile add sugar and water in a wide pan and bring it to a boil.
- Drop the balls into the syrup, switch flame to medium and cover the pan with a lid.
- After 5 minutes open lid and add 1tbs of water along the side to dilute the syrup.
- After 15minutes open lid and let the balls cook in open pan for 5 minutes.
- Switch off flame. Take the cooked balls out of syrup and drop them into cold water.
- Boil the syrup once again till sticky.
- Now remove the balls from water and add them to boiling syrup. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Switch off flame and let it cool.
- Serve and enjoy.
|Make small firm balls|
|Rasgollas will become double the size|
|After 20 minutes|
|Drop the balls into cold water|
|Drop back into the sticky syrup, cool and serve|