Vazhai Poo or Banana blossom is flower from which we get raw bananas and fruits. After fruits come the remaining part of the flower is used for cooking delicious dishes. Vadas, kootu and kulambu are some of the dishes in which you can use banana blossom. The method of preparing the blossom is given with step wise instructions here.This is a very simple but delicious gravy which goes well with Idli, Dosa and Rice. This is actually the method of cooking fish. For vegetarians like us it is a great substitute. The inner part of the blossom is cooked fully and PK likes it very much. He says that it resembles a whole fish. I always make this gravy in a mud pan because nothing can beat the taste of a dish cooked in a mud pot. This dish doesn’t have any tempering and it is very easy to put together.
Cumin seeds-1 tbs
Red chilli-7 or 8
Vazhai poo/ Banana Blossom – 1 medium sized
Salt- to taste
Till seed oil- 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2tsp
Tamarind- lemon sized ball
1. Grind cumin seeds, red chillies and small onions to a fine paste.
2. Boil vazhai poo for 10 minutes and drain water.
3. Soak tamarind in 1cup of water and extract juice.
4. In a mud vessel add masala paste, turmeric powder, tamarind juice, salt, boiled vazhai poo and bring it to boil.
5. Add oil and close the vessel with lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes. when the gravy becomes thick switch off flame.
6. Kulambu is ready to be served. Serve it along with rice and vazhai thandu pachadi and it tastes awesome!