Red Kidney Beans also known as Rajma is extensively used in North Indian dishes. When I prepared Amristari Aloo Kulch for ICC, I was searching for a side dish. As the kulcha is a Punjabi special, I wanted to pair it up with a Punjabi side dish. While searching I saw the rajma recipe in so many blogs. The basic gravy in all the blogs was more or less the same. It also sounded very simple. So I soaked some rajma the previous day and made it along with the kulchas for breakfast. It was a filling meal. The spicy rajma was a great combination to the kulchas.
Rajma/ Red Kidney Beans-1 1/2 cups
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder- 2 tsp
Punjabi Garam Masala-1 tsp
Coriander Leaves-2-3 tbsp
1. Soak rajma overnight and pressure cook for 10 minutes. It needs to be very soft. Do not waste the water. Reserve it for the gravy.
2. In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds.
3. Add onions and ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell vanishes.
4. Add tomatoes and lower flame.
5. Cover and cook until mushy.
6. Add red chilly powder and salt.
7. Saute for a minute.
8. Now add the cooked rajma, garam masala and amchur.
9. Add enough water to make the gravy.
10. When it starts boiling, reduce flame, cover and cook until the gravy thickens. Add coriander leaves.
11. Serve it hot with rice or rotis..