For the International Cooking Challenge (IFC) started by Sara and Shobana, this mont’s host Savitha suggested recipes from Persian Cuisine. Savitha chose different recipes for the members to try. THere were some non vegetarian recipes too. Fereni has been in my to do list for long. So when I saw it among the recipes, I decided to make it. It is a very creamy pudding made with rice flour and milk. It is best when served chilled. And earthern pots are great for serving. I made a small batch with 2 cups of milk and it was over at a single sitting. Hubby dear and myself loved it. The only work in making fereni is whisking the mixture for 20 minutes. Never even leave it for a few seconds. As the milk contains sugar and rice flour, it would stick to the pan immediately. So keep it on medium flame and using a balloon whisk keep on whisking for 20 minutes and fereni is ready. The pistachios add a nice flavour to the fereni.
Recipe Source: Savitha
Milk-500 ml/ 2 cups
Rice Flour-1 1/2 tbs
Cardamom Powder-1/4 tsp
Rose Water ( I didn’t use but it is a must)
Pistachios for Garnish
1. Mix together rice flour and three tbs of milk in a bowl.
2. Place the remaining milk in a heavy bottomed pan and add sugar, rose water, cardamom powder and rice flour mixture and mix well.
3. Keep flame on medium and keep on whisking while the milk reduces.
4. When the mixture becomes thick and jelly like, pour it into earthern bowls.
5. Garnish with sliced pistachios and allow it to cool completely.
6. Refrigerate until serving time.
Mix rice flour and milk.
Add it to the milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
Coook the mixture for 20 minutes.
Pour into earthern pots.
Allow it to cool and then refrigerate.
It was so creamy and you would never stop at one spoon…