I love to watch Eat Street which is aired on Fox Traveller. They show many street foods from America and Onion Rings are made in majority of the shows. When speaking of onion rings, I also remember a cookery show where the onions are double coated with bread crumbs to get a nice thick and crisp outer layer. I was going through many recipes for this dish.There were so many variations to the basic recipe. So I tried my version with home made herbed bread crumbs (click on link for method). They turned out a delicious crispy snack when served hot. When cool, they went soft but still tasted great. So for today’s Blogging Marathon #32, A-Z theme, for the alphabet O, I made these under street food category. I tried two versions of these rings. One was coated with a single layer of bread crumbs and the other was double coated with bread crumbs. I liked both the versions. You can decide according to your taste.
Flour/ Maids-1/2 cup
Corn Flour-1/4 cup
Pepper Powder-a pinch
Herbed Bread Crumbs (click on link for the method)-1 cup
Oil-To Deep Fry
1. In a bowl mix together flour, corn flour, salt, pepper and milk. Whisk until you get a smooth batter.
2. Remove skin of onions and slice into two.
3. Remove the rings and place it on a plate.
4. Dip each ring in the batter and place it on the bread crumbs.
5. Coat the ring with bread crumb and fry if single coat is enough.
6. For double coating, place the ring again inside the batter and coat it evenly.
7. Now again place it on bread crumbs and roll to coat it evenly with bread crumbs. Now the ring will have a thick outer layer.
8. Finish coating all the rings.
9. Heat oil in a pan.
10. Deep fry pieces in batches until golden.
11. Serve hot along with tomato ketchup or any other dipping sauce.
Mix the dry ingredients.
Add milk and prepare batter.
Peel skin of onions.
Cut into two parts.
Now remove the rings.
Dip the ring in the batter.
Place on bread crumbs and coat them evenly.
Dip it again in batter.
Coat it again in the crumbs.
Arrange on a plate.
I made a double coated batch and a single coated batch.
Deep fry until golden.
Drain oil and place on a plate.
Serve it hot…
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32