For the next three days I will be posting some delicious Goan recipes as I have chosen the theme for Blogging Marathon #26 Week 3. Coconut is an important ingredient in Goan cuisine. When I was searching for some recipes, I saw that so many recipes included coconut. This rice is one among those recipes which uses coconut milk for cooking. The name means rice with coconut. I made this for lunch today and I also made another gravy from goan cuisine to go along with this rice. I got a thumbs up from PK. It is quite rich because of the coconut milk used and is a great dish for parties or functions. The original recipe mentioned about adding fried onion for garnish but I just sauteed some onion slices and added it at end. I used 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk to cook rice as PK likes soft rice. If you like it bit crispy as restaurant rice varieties, then go for 2 cups.
Arroz Com Coco – Goan Coconut Rice
Basmathi Rice-1 cup
Coconut Milk-2-2 1/2 cups
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Onion -1 Sliced and fried ( I simply sauteed it until golden and added it to the rice at the final stage.)
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes. Drain water and keep it aside.
2. Heat ghee and add cloves and cinnamon.
3. Add the onion s and turmeric powder and sautee until translucent.
4. Add sugar and rice and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add coconut milk and salt. Bring it to boil.
6. Keep on stirring at regular intervals until the rice is 90% cooked.
7. In a separate pan add 2 tsp of oil and fry cashew.
8. When they are golden add thinly sliced onion and saute until nicely brown.
9. Add it to the rice.
10. Cover the rice with aluminium foil and simmer for 2 minutes.
11. Heat a cast iron tawa.
12. Reduce flame, place the pan with rice on it and let it cook for 20 minutes.
13. Switch off flame and serve after 15 minutes.