Today is the third week of Blogging Marathon #19. I am posting under the theme Cooking with greens. The first recipe is for a coloured rice perfect for kid’s lunch box. If you love okra, then this is for you. The palak flavour along with okra was very nice. As I prepared it for Sruti’s lunch box, I didn’t add spices to it. But if cooking for the whole family, you can go for spices too. I served it with okra raitha for lunch and the combination was very delicious.
Palak/ Spinach-1 bunch
Okra/ Ladies Finger-1 1/4cup (cut into thin slices)
1. In a pan add 1tsp oil and add the sliced okra along with salt.
2. Saute on low flame until the sliminess is gone. Keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add onion.
4. Saute until golden.
5. In a hand mixer or food processor, add palak and green chillies and run it until nicely minced.
6. Add the minced palak to the onion and saute until it lets out oil.
7. Wash and soak rice for 15minutes.
8. Drain water completely and add it to the cooker.
9. Saute till the rice starts sticking to the bottom of the cooker.
10. Add 3 1/2cups of water, 1cup of sauteed okra and salt to taste.
11. Cover with lid and put on the weight.
12. When the first whistle comes, switch flame to low and cook for 6minutes.
13. Switch off stove and wait until the pressure is gone.
14. Open the cooker, fluff the rice with fork and serve hot along with okra raitha.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#19