Bindhi / Okra / Lady’s Finger is a very nutritious vegetable. But I used to keep it away during my childhood because of it sliminess. But nowadays, I have grown very fond of this vegetable. My daughter loves this. I pack it for her lunch box and that day she is sure to polish off her box. She just loves okra. This sukhi bindhi is a dry preparation using okra and it is very spicy. Perfect as a side dish for curd rice or rasam rice. I prepared this as part of Punjabi Thali. The actual recipe asked to fry the okra pieces but I sauteed it in 2tbs oil to take away the sliminess. It tasted great with less oil.
Lady’s Finger/ Okra/ Bindhi-250gm
Dry Mango Powder-1tsp
Salt- to taste
1. Wash and cut okra into 1/2″ pieces.
2. Heat 2tbs oil in a pan and add the okra pieces.
3. Saute till the sliminess goes away.
4. Transfer it into a bowl.
5. Add 2 tbs oil and add garlic.
6. Saute for a minute. Add onion and saute till golden.
7. Add tomatoes and saute until it becomes mushy.
8. Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and mango powder.
9. Finally add the okra pieces and coriander leaves.
10. Mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
11. Serve hot.