This goes very well with curd rice. I used little oil and prepared it in a non stick pan. For stuffing I used ellu podi (sesame powder) with a garlic pod and it was absolutely delicious. It is very easy to make and is definitely a crowd pleaser.
For The Ellu Podi/ Sesame Spice Powder:
White Sesame Seeds-1cup
For the Stir Fry:
Okra/ Ladies Finger/ Vendakkai-200gm
1. Roast urad dhal until golden.
2. Add red chilly and roast it on low flame until crisp.
3. Transfer to another plate.
4. Roast the sesame seeds until they start popping.
5. Add it to the urad dhal mix.
6. Roast hing and salt and add it to the sesame seeds.
7. When cool, grind it to a fine powder.
8. This goes very well with hot rice and ghee.
9. Store in a jar for further use.
For The Stir Fry:
1. Mash the garlic pods using a mortar and pestle.
2. Add it to the spice powder and mix well.
3. Slit okras carefully with a knife having both ends intact.
4. Stuff all the okras with the spice powder.
5. Heat oil in a non stick pan and add the stuffed okras.
6. Gently stir to coat all the okras with oil.
7. Cook on medium flame, taking care not to burn the okras.
8. Add the remaining spice powder and stir it to mix.
9. Keep on stirring until the okras are brown in colour.
10. Serve it hot along with curd rice or roti.
|Slit the okra with both the sides intact
|Stuff it with the spice powder
|Finish with the other okras
|Heat oil and add okras
|Add the remaining spice powder
|Cook until the okras are brown. Serve hot.